Monday, December 26, 2011

Roseanne Season 1, Episode 1: Life and Stuff

So I've decided that I'm going to watch all 9 seasons of Roseanne in order.

Today I've started with episode 1! Original Air Date 10/19/1988 - I was 4 years old :)
I love Roseanne for many reasons. In Season 1 we meet Booker! He's one of the first characters we meet, and he's the manager at the Wellman's plastic factory, where Roseanne, Jackie, and Crystal work. And he's played by George Clooney. A very young looking George Clooney.

Today there's also some strange little boy playing DJ. Sal Borone the internet tells me.

They start out establishing Roseanne's matriarch role in the family. She works at the factory all day, while Dan is underemployed, but Roseanne is still doing the lion's share of the housework, shopping, and dealing with kids.

They have a scene that parallels a much later episode - Roseanne and Dan are arguing about Dan stepping up and doing his share of the work, but when Darlene cuts her finger, he rushes to her aid and fixes her right up.

Later there's an episode about Mark being a good husband to Becky, and doing his fair share, and when Becky cuts herself, he rushes to her aid and fixes her up to.

And Dan talks about his boat, and retiring and floating away with Roseanne, which they talk about quite a bit in the early seasons, but I don't recall going anywhere. That's why I'm watching these again, so I can see if I can remake these connections and see what happens :)

No comments: