Friday, August 03, 2012

Roseanne: Season 5, Episode 16: Wait Til your Father Gets Home

This is the episode where Roseanne & Jackie's Dad dies. This is the first time I've watched it since my dad died. And in the spirit of dead dad's I just went to a memorial service for a coworker's father.

I was interested to see how I reacted, because often when there are plot lines about dead family, especially dads, I get super weepy, but this time not so much.

I really enjoyed the overly empathetic funeral home director. I had a really similar experience at the funeral home we used for my dad. They were really froofy and tried to oversell us things based on our vulnerability.

I also liked how Darlene said that she felt bad for not feeling bad enough. But she had cramps :)

It was nice to see that death didn't wash away all of the bad things their dad did, but it still helped Roseanne to let them go. I'm lucky in that most of the relationship I had with my dad was really good, but I still know what that forgiveness in death feels like.
OK, so now I'm getting teary. Jesus.

I'll end with this - I burned my finger on hot olive oil tonight, and while watching this show, I was trying to use a frozen ketchup packet to take some of the sting off.

No comments: