Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The cost of driving.
Gas prices go up, and it sucks. It inspires me to do math, so that I can use math in an attempt to convince myself to take the bus.
I drive 32 miles roundtrip for work. My car gets 25mpg. I figured out it costs $0.18 a mile, which means that it costs me $5.76 a day in gasoline just to drive to and from work.
The bus on the other hand is free. It just happens to take an hour instead of 30 minutes.
Maybe $5.76 isn't a lot of money, but that comes out to almost $1500 a year. And if I took the bus to work just one day a week I'd save $300 a year.

This sounds so nice in writing... why is it so hard to actually do???

1 comment:

Vasily said...

If it costs you $5.76/day to drive to and from work and you are doubling your commute time you need to ask yourself "Is my time worth more than $5.76/hour?". As the time you are not captioning cat pictures so obviously is worth more than that, you are really *saving* more than an additional $1500 a year in time not wasted on the bus! That and the bus smells like old people and farts.